Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Rudeness in restaurants

So I went to one of my favorite Thai places in Manhattan for some dinner with friends on Friday night. Great food, service sucked. Granted the place was packed but that's not an excuse for the amount of time we had to wait for our stuff. We eat, have a good time, pay by cash and a credit card. Food is pretty cheap which is always a plus. We left $6 as a tip (a little less then what it should be for lack of good service). I always tipped when it's deserved, afterall, i used to be a waitress.

Anyway, the waiter comes over, takes the money and receipt and leaves. Out comes the manager asking "Was the service okay?" The place was so packed and honestly I just wanted to leave so I ask her "Why?" She says "oh well you left a small tip." Ummm excuse me? So i look at her and she proceeds to ask why we only left $3. I tell her no we left $6. This went on a good 5 minutes of me telling her that I saw the waiter take the money off the table, and he either swiped it looking for more money or dropped it somewhere. She proceeded to insist that we left only $3 and was irritated because we left so little. Got so fed up my friend ended up leaving another $3.

I was completely shocked that this woman had the audacity to basically insist that we leave more money. I dont know what I was more mad at, the fact that she did that or the fact that I KNOW the waiter dropped the money or swiped it and then went and complained.

Since when are people REQUIRED to tip. Last time I checked, it was a persons choice and not mandatory. Granted some places have automatic tipping incorporated into the bill, but this was not one of those places.

Basically I love the food, but after the way we were treated AFTER we got bad service, I'm definitely not going there again

No comments: